Five errors are especially common when an unseasoned trade contractor tries to build green, according to Mark LaLiberte, a leading expert in building science. In the January/February issue of EcoHome (also published by Hanley Wood), LaLiberte lists the following.
- HVAC ducts installed in unconditioned attic or other spaces.
- Tight homes built without intentional ventilation.
- Improper flashing and drainage planes for water management.
- Poorly selected and installed insulation.
- Wasted resources. Invest the extra time with your trade partners to calculate and specify precisely the quantities you need.
From Remodeling Magazine
Come visit us at the Green Home & Living Show in Portland, ME on October 3 & 4, 2009